Markov Namegen is a Markov chain-based word generator written in Haxe, made for procedural name generation. Try the demo out here.
- Katz backoff using "high order" models - look up to "n" characters back.
- Sort and filter generated strings by length, start, end and content.
- Damerau-Levenshtein distance sort method.
- Dirichlet prior parameter.
- The generator works by using Markov chains, and requires training data to build them. A hundred or more words within your chosen category is usually sufficient for good results.
- Sort words by similarity to preferred "good words" using an edit distance metric, and pick the most similar and suitable results. There are a few edit distance measures provided in EditDistanceMetrics.hx.
- To get best results the training dataset, model order and prior will need to be tweaked for the type of words you want to generate. If possible, keep the prior parameter low or zero. Filter words to suit: look at length, beginning, end, contents, edit distance limits. Some of this done for you in NameGenerator.hx. If you prefer to do it your own way, subclass the Generator class.